If you’re a parent to a dog, you must know that loud noises can frighten them to a point where they start trembling. Whether it’s loud fireworks or a car backfiring, these sounds can lead to heightened stress levels and anxiety in dogs which is bad for their overall health.
A good pair of noise canceling headphones would do the trick and help keep your dog calm. But there are many things to consider and you can not use a traditional noise canceling headphone designed for humans.
Today, we’re going to talk about the best noise canceling headphones for dogs and cover why you should consider investing in one. These products are effective at cutting down external sounds and will ensure your dog is calm at all times.
Here are the best noise canceling headphones for dogs.
- Mutt Muffs DDR337 Earmuffs
- Happy Hoodie from Zoni Pets
- Kouser Dogs Winter Hat
- Kurgo Dog Scruff Scarf
- K9 Hearing Protection for Dogs
Recommended Read: Best Audio-Technica Headphones with Noise Canceling
Best Noise Canceling Headphones for Dogs
Mutt Muffs DDR337 Earmuffs
Mutt Muffs is probably the first brand to put primary focus on the stress health of dogs and develop noise canceling headphones for them. The DDR337 hearing protection for dogs is an overhead device that is designed to seal the ears in and block out external loud noises.
This headgear comes in 4 colors and is available for all breeds of dogs out there. It’s comfortable and is equipped with soft foam pads on the inside of the ear cups. The strap is adjustable and are perfect for when you plan on taking your furry companion either to a shooting range, concert, NASCAR racer or even on a plane.
- Durable plastic body
- Wide foam filled ear cups
- Available in 4 colors
- X-Small to X-Large
Original Happy Hoodie from Zoni Pets
The original Happy Hoodie is one of the best hearing protection accessories for large and small dog breeds. It’s affordable, comfortable to wear and offers top notch protection from loud noises. These products are made from cotton, nylon and a blend of elastane allowing them to stay in pace without giving the dog any discomfort.
Each happy hoodie acts as an anti anxiety aid for stress and can be worn anytime. You would have to pull it over the dog’s head similar to a t-shirt and once it’s over their head simply adjust it a bit to cover their ears evenly so it fits snug.
- 2 piece kit (1L, 1S)
- Made from Cotton, Nylon and Elastane
- Designed to keep your dogs calm
- Easy to wear
Kouser Dogs Winter Hat
The Kouser dogs winter hat is a cute accessory for your furry friend. This knitted hat is made from an acrylic material and is available in 4 sizes. They are suitable for small dogs and can even look great on larger dogs like Retrievers.
This winter hat is soft and comfortable to wear. It features a Christmas design and is available in red. The Kouser winter hat is machine washable and can be worn both indoors and outdoors offering a decent level of protection for your little dog’s ears.
- Acrylic material
- Christmas design
- Machine washable
- Cozy and warm
Kurgo Dog Scruff Scarf
The Kurgo scruff scarf is an affordable and easy to use scarf for dogs that can keep them warm and safe from loud noises. This product is made from polyester and spandex making it both warm and comfortable to wear.
Your dog will definitely love this scarf simply because it’s breathable and doesn’t constrict them in any way. This scarf has reflective patches as well which can ensure your dogs safety while taking them for a walk at night and is available in three sizes depending on the breed of dog you own.
- 88% Polyester 12% Spandex
- Stretchable and comfortable
- Three sizes available
- Machine washable
K9 Hearing Protection for Dogs
Quite similar to the Mutt Muffs in terms of design, the K9 ear protection device for dogs is an overhead device that comes with an adjustable strap located under the chin. This product is available in a single size and comes in 4 different colors.
Your dog will love these simply because they are comfortable and are designed to block out any unwanted loud noises. The exterior of the ear cups are made from a durable plastic that is scratch proof and we found that it’s designed to fit the curvature of a dogs head.
- PVC plastic
- Soft and comfortable form
- Adjustable strap
- Lightweight and affordable
Other things to do to help your dog’s sensitive hearing
If you’re on a budget and can’t afford a noise canceling headphone for your dog, there are other ways you can help reduce your dog’s stress levels when they hear loud noises.
- From personal experience, comforting your dog and talking to them helps reduce tension. They tend to be more relaxed when you distract them by giving them your attention.
- Playing other soothing music or sounds from your TV/music player can help distract them and will drown out the loud noises. You can also sing to your dog or shut the windows to minimize the loudness of the noises.
- Whatever you do, never shout or yell at your doggo. This can result in them becoming hostile towards you and won’t help them overcome their fear.
- If you run out of ideas, take your pooch to the vet or consult a vet over the phone and figure out what else can be done to help them relax. Your vet would mostly try medicating your dog to help them distress and stay calm.
Best Noise Canceling Headphones for Dogs – Buyer’s Guide
When buying noise canceling headphones and other products for dogs, there are a couple of factors to consider to ensure they are stress free and left feeling comfortable.
You will need a product that fits well, is chew-proof and lightweight but comfortable. Here are some key points to look into.
- Design – When buying a pair of noise canceling headphones for your dog, you need to take the design and shape of the headphones into consideration. The overall design of these headphones must be dog friendly and the ear cups should be foam filled.
- Adjustable Straps – Headphones with adjustable straps are perfect for dogs because they provide the best fit. The headphones should be ergonomically designed to fit the contour of your dogs head and must come with under the chin straps that can be adjusted.
- Weight – You will definitely need to get a pair of headphones or earmuffs for your dog that’s made from lightweight materials. This is to make sure that your dog does not strain their necks or head with the weight of these noise canceling headphones.
How do I know if my dog is scared of loud noises?
If you notice your dog running and hiding when he/she hears a loud noise then it’s probably due to the fact that the sound is too loud for their ears to bear and they hide in fear. This results in your dog becoming stressed and anxious every time there’s a loud noise and you will need to address this concern for the betterment of your dog.
Can dogs wear noise canceling headphones designed for humans?
Noise canceling headphones for humans are not ideal for your dogs because they either don’t fit well or would get destroyed easily. A dog would require specially designed headphones to wear simply because when it comes to human headphones, noise cancellation is normally enabled when there is music playing through the headphones.
How can I protect my dog from loud noises?
By putting on headphones or a nice comfortable muff piece, your dog would be saved from loud and sudden noises that can harm their little ears. Ideally, a good distraction for your dog would work but if your dog is very sensitive to loud sounds and you notice it shivering or trembling, you will need to buy the best noise canceling headphones for your dog.
Dogs are our friends and there is nothing better than taking care of them and ensuring they’re comfortable at home. A dog that’s scared of loud noises may have gone through a traumatic experience in the past and there are ways to help them deal with this issue rather than neglecting them or yelling at them.
Ultimately, it may only cost a few bucks to help your little buddy get through this ordeal and I would suggest opting for a pair of noise canceling headphones simply because they’re built to work.
- Best Audio-Technica Headphones with Noise Canceling
- Best Chinese Studio Headphones
- Best Bluedio Headphones
Greetings! My name is Michael and this is my website.
I've been specializing in audio equipment and accessories for a while and have a little something in store for every kind of hi-fi enthusiast.
Based in California, I keep attending special launch events across the globe. This has helped me understand the products better, and with a unique hands-on experience I'm able to provide you with easy to understand reviews about the best in audio tech from around the world.