Charging your AirPods is rather easy, and this article – Can you charge your AirPods in someone elses case, will teach you how to charge your dead AirPods when you don’t have your own charging case on hand.
The solution to this predicament is rather simple and while there are many rumors floating around the internet that if you charge your AirPods in a different charging case then the earbuds get damaged and won’t work properly.
I’m going to bust this myth with this article and show you just how easy and safe it is to use someone else’s charging case to recharge your AirPods.
So, read on to find out all there is to know about charging your AirPods in someone else’s case.
Recommended Read: Is it Possible for Someone to Connect to My AirPods Without My Knowledge
Table of Contents
Can You Charge your AirPods in Someone Else’s Case?
In short, yes you can charge your AirPods in someone else’s case without damaging them. You will need to ensure that the charging case you’re going to use is not damaged, designed for the particular model of AirPods you own and the case should already be fully charged or should be plugged into a laptop or wall socket. The only problem here is that you will have to pair the AirPods and charging case with your iPhone if you wish to check the battery status and other features.
How to Charge your AirPods using Someone Elses Case?
You can freely charge your AirPods in someone else’s case and all you have to do is place them in their charging case. Just make sure their case is fully charged or the case should be plugged-in with a USB-C to Lightning cable, or a USB to lightning cable.
You can determine the charging status of the case simply by paying attention to the LED light slot. If it sparks green, the case is fully charged and if it shines in amber, the battery is less than fully charged.
Here’s how you can charge your AirPods in someone else’s case.
- Place your AirPods in the new case
- Open the lid and wait for the LED light to flash amber
- Press & hold the setup button on the back of the case for a few seconds
- Once the status light flashes open your case in front of your phone
- A setup animation will appear select Connect > Done
And that’s it!
How to Check Your Battery Status if You’re Using Someone Else’s Case?
To know the exact battery level of your AirPods, place them inside the charging case but keep the lid open. A pop-up will appear on your iPhone screen as you bring the phone closer to the case. The pop-up will show the level of both the case and the AirPods.
Other ways to check the battery percentage of your AirPods is through the notification center on your iPhone. Scroll right till you get to the notification center and then scroll down till you get to the battery level widget, which shows the level in all your devices, even the ones connected to your phone.
How Can You Save Battery Life in AirPods?
Everyone always wants to make sure they utilize their AirPods to the best of their ability without draining the battery or spoiling the battery life.
One of the ways you can save your battery life is by using only one of the two AirPods at a time.
This can be done by simply placing the single AirPod you are not using in the charging case.
The device automatically changes to mono mode but ensures that you still enjoy it as if you are using both AirPods.
You can keep swapping them like this for a long time.
Can You Charge AirPods Without a Case?
No, unfortunately, as of yet, there is no way you can charge your AirPods on their own without the case. However, Apple is in talks of working on a beta version known as Pods Charge. There is no way to say how effective the Pods Charge is going to be as an alternative to the charging case, we will just need to wait until it’s officially released.
How Long Do Fully Charged AirPods Last?
Fully charged AirPods offer the best experience and may last for quite some time.
When your case has a good multiple charges, the AirPods give you more than 24 hours of listening time or 18 hours of talk time since you will be using two functions at once.
A single charged case can last up to five hours of listening time or up to three hours of talking time.
When you charge your AirPods for only fifteen minutes, you get an astounding three hours of listening time or two hours of talk time.
The AirPods always alert you when the battery is low by playing a tone, especially when only ten percent of battery life is left and another tone when the AirPods are turning off.
What are the Advantages of using AirPods?
If you own a pair of earphones that come with a wire attached, chances are you are not using it everywhere. Primarily because it takes about an hour just to untangle the chords from wherever you pick it.
AirPods offer you the benefit of wearing them and listening to your favorite songs on the go without having to worry about any wire damage or untangling the disfigured chords.
Moreover, they provide a strong and stable Bluetooth connection and a long battery life for you to enjoy your tunes throughout the day. Don’t have an iPhone but an Android device? No problem, the AirPods can switch easily between iOS and Android devices.
The AirPods also have excellent audio performance quality combined with a nice cancellation feature. The hands-free use is also great as you can receive calls without touching your phone or having to raise it to your ear.
And heaven forbid, if you lose your earbuds, chances are you can get it back with the ‘find my iPhone’ feature on your phone.
How Do You Connect Your AirPods to Your Device?
Different devices can connect your AirPods in different ways. Here are some of the ways to connect them to different devices.
To connect your AirPods to your iPhone, do the following:
- Ensure you have the latest version of iOS, especially if you are setting your AirPods up for the first time
- Make sure your phone is on the home screen while holding it up next to an open charging case that has the AirPods in it
- A setup pop-up will emerge on your iPhone and you will be required to tap ‘connect.’
- If Siri is already set up, it is ready to use
- Otherwise, a step-by-step guide to the setup will be provided
- Tap ‘done’ and your AirPods are ready to use with your iPhone
- You can also connect another set of AirPods to one iPhone by repeating the above process with the second AirPods.
- Tap on the prompt to share audio temporarily
- You will be asked to long-press the button at the back of the case
- A notification will inform you that the guest pair is connected.
To connect your AirPods to your Mac device, do the following:
- While the AirPods are in your ears, click on the Apple icon on your menu bar followed by the system preference
- Click on Bluetooth. You should ensure the Bluetooth device is on
- Select AirPods from the list of available Bluetooth devices
- Put the AirPods back in the case with the lid open
- Long press the setup button at the back of the case to complete the process
To connect your AirPods to an Android phone or non-apple device, do the following:
- Put your AirPods in the charging case with the lid open
- Long press the button at the back of the charging case till the status light turns white
- Connect the AirPods through the Bluetooth option in your non-apple device and wait for a few seconds
- However, note that other functions will not work when connected to a non-apple device, such as Automatic ear detection.
Can AirPods be used on a plane?
Yes, you will be able to use your AirPods on a plane. However, all Airlines require passengers to have Airplane mode on at all times. By default, Airplane mode turns off Bluetooth. Additionally, Airlines inform passengers not to turn on Bluetooth devices during take-off and before landing, so as long as you connect your AirPods to your device after takeoff you’re good to go.
Can you charge AirPods in someone else’s case?
Yes you can charge your AirPods in someone else’s case permitted the charging case is not faulty and it has charge or you have it plugged into a power source.
How can I check my AirPods battery status if I’m using someone else’s case?
You can check your AirPods battery status on your iPhone if you’re using someone else’s charging case by placing the AirPods in the case and bringing the case near your iPhone with the lid open. You will receive a pop-up notification on your iPhone highlighting the battery status of both AirPod earbuds as well as the charging case.
While you can charge your AirPods in someone else’s case it is best to make sure your case is fully charged and with you wherever you go for your convenience. Moreover, it won’t cause inconvenience to others.
So the next time you reach a party early and plug in your AirPods, beware there is charge in your own case. Plus it always comes in handy, when traveling long distances, right?
- How to Change the Ownership of AirPods
- Why Cant Callers Hear Me On My AirPods? | All You Need to Know!
- Does Leaving My AirPods In The Case Drain The Battery?
Greetings! My name is Michael and this is my website.
I've been specializing in audio equipment and accessories for a while and have a little something in store for every kind of hi-fi enthusiast.
Based in California, I keep attending special launch events across the globe. This has helped me understand the products better, and with a unique hands-on experience I'm able to provide you with easy to understand reviews about the best in audio tech from around the world.