Are you looking for a set off decently priced true wireless earbuds that are worth every penny you spend?
The Xiaomi Mi True Wireless Earbuds are one fine example of really good quality earbuds.
I have been using the Xiaomis True Wireless Earbuds for a little over 6 months with absolutely no issues whatsoever. They’re comfortable to wear, small and sound pretty awesome.
But they do lack something which we’ll get into further on.
Here’s what I think about the Xiaomi Mi TWS True Wireless Earbuds.
They’re super cheap, easy to use, long lasting earbuds that deliver exactly what you’re expected to get for in that price range. They are Xiaomis top rated TWS earbuds that are equipped with a 25mAh batteries giving you hours of play-time. The earbuds feature a touch sensor and runs on Bluetooth 5.0 for an uninterrupted lossless connection.
As Xiaomi has been known to deliver high quality products for cheap, these earbuds are priced at an extremely low rate making them great for anyone on a budget.
Let me take you through my experience with Xiaomis Mi True Wireless Earbuds.
- Related: Best Xiaomi Wireless Earphones
Table of Contents
Xiaomi Mi True Wireless Earbuds Review
In a response to the whole Apple AirPod craze, companies like Xiaomi have been working to deliver classy True Wireless Earbuds to the public at a fraction the price of what Apple charges for their AirPods.
The Mi True Wireless Earbuds, also known as Redmi AirDots has been around for a little over a year and are quite impressive. They are great audio accessories, packed quite a punch in terms of sound quality and have a reasonable battery life.
Earlier this year Xiaomi introduced their latest model in their earbuds lineup, the Mi True Wireless Earbuds S also known as the Redmi AirDots S which is not much of an upgrade but a variant I would say with an additional in-built feature.
Mi 2 Wireless Earbuds: Audio Quality
The Xiaomi earbuds 2 come better equipped than the previous generations straight out of the box, compared to the 7mm drivers on the old ones the new ones come with a bigger better 14.2 mm driver with a titanium composite diaphragm delivering some powerful output.
The Mi earbuds 2 also supports LHDC Hi res audio codes which deliver high quality HD sound on supported devices, other supported codes include AAC and SBC.
Xiaomi has not tried to extract as much bass as possible with the programming but has kept it quite dynamic. So if you are into bass then it might be a little too low for your liking.
The vocals, mids and highs are good for all types of audio types coming out clear and punchy.
Call audio is good too with the environment noise cancellation working well, the person on the line sounds very clear, the person on the other end of the call also does not hear too much external noise with your voice clear on that end too.
Mi True Wireless Earbuds: Design
One great thing about the brand Xiaomi is that they seem to apply sleek and aesthetic designs to their products, the AirDots are no exception.
- The Redmi AirDots and AirDots S feature an in-ear design with light buds making them comfortable to wear for long periods of time.
- They’re adjustable so all you have to do is twist them around in your ear till they sit perfectly and you’re good to go.
- In terms of actual product weight, each earbud is a measly 4.1 grams, nearly as light as a sheet of bond A4 paper and much lighter than other TWS i’ve used in my time.
- The earbuds have a nice hard plastic like feel to them while the face-plate has a matte finished texture.
- Under the face-plate is a multi-functional button to control your music and handle calls, all you gotta do is tap on the face-plate to activate the control.
- The Bluetooth sensor is located under the face-plate as well, so to turn on and activate the Bluetooth pairing mode you have to long press and hold the face-plate down to pair devices.
- Both the Redmi AirDots and the AirDots S are IPX5 rated meaning they’re resistant to splashes of water or sweat while working out.
Mi True Wireless Earbuds: Performance
The Redmi AirDots are pretty powerful earbuds under the $30 margin.
- They use dual 7.2mm dynamic drivers capable of delivering decent bass while maintaining crisp high notes and mid-tones. These buds can get quite loud when used at max volume.
- The battery on each AirDot can give you around 4 hours of play-time on a single charge and this is thanks to their 25mAh in-built batteries powering them.
- The charging case on the other hand has in-built 350mAh batteries that are capable of charging the AirDots and AirDots S 2 up to 3 times. The charging case can be recharged with Micro-USB cable and will take approximately an hour to attain full charge.
Mi True Wireless Earbuds: Connectivity
The Redmi AirDots and AirDots S are powered by Realtek RTL8763BFR chips that support Bluetooth 5.0.
- There is a very small lag in the audio while streaming online and definitely no disconnections when at close range but as you move further away you’d tend to notice the difference in the connectivity..
- They support the basic SBC Bluetooth audio codec with an advanced audio distribution profile making sure that no data is lost in transmission.
- Both earpods support HFP/HSP/A2DP/AVRCP Bluetooth profiles along with BLE or Bluetooth Low Energy and AAC-LC Codecs apart from SBC.
- The one drawback of the Bluetooth connectivity on the Xiaomi AirDots is that you can only pair with one device at a time.
- The Mi TWS Earbuds come with an in-built microphone in the right earbud so you can handle your phone calls.
Pairing your AirDots with a new phone is rather simple.
- Take the right earbud out of the charging case, this will enable the white LED to start blinking.
- On your phone search for a new device and you should be able to find your AirDots under the name “Mi True Wireless EBs Basic_R” or “Mi True Wireless EBs Basic S” depending on the model you buy.
- Tap on the appropriate model and it’s done. Simple right?
Coming to the charging factor, the earbuds sit firmly in the charging case. This is thanks to the magnetic charging pins located within the case. The USB port on both models use Micro-USB rather than other companies that have gone into USB-C for faster charging.
Differences between the Mi True Wireless and the Mi True Wireless S
One of the two major differences between the Xiaomi Mi Earbuds and the Xiaomi Mi Earbuds S is that the original model uses a master-slave connection method to connect your device to the earbuds. This process works where the right earbud will connect to the phone followed by an automatic connection of the left earbud.
With the new model Earbuds S this function has been concealed allowing both earbuds to connect simultaneously. This change lets you use one earbud at a time or to switch to stereo mode without having to repair devices.
Game Latency Mode
Something that was not included in the earlier AirDots, Game Latency mode can be activated on your AirDots S by tapping on the face-plate three times. This feature is designed specifically for gamers and reduces the delay in audio data transmission while playing games.
Price and Availability
The Xiaomi AirDots and AirDots S are available online and can be bought from e-Commerce sites like Amazon and AliExpress. Both are available at $19.99 on Amazon while on AliExpress they retail for $15.30 and only come in one color, Black.
In the Box
The retail box of Xiaomis Mi TWS True Wireless earbuds consist of:
- 1 Charging Box
- 2 extra pairs of Ear-tips (Large and Small)
- 1 Set of Earbuds
- 1 User Manual
|Xiaomi Mi True Wireless Earbuds
|Xiaomi Mi True Wireless Earbuds S
|Battery Capacity (Earbud)
|Battery Capacity (Charging Case)
|7.2mm Dynamic drivers
|7.2mm Dynamic drivers
|IPX4 (Earbuds only)
|IPX4 (Earbuds only)
|Phone Call Control
Xiaomi Mi True Wireless Tips & Tricks
- To answer a call on the Mi True Wireless Earbuds, tap on the multi-function face-plate to either answer or disconnect a call.
- You can reject any incoming call by pressing down on the face-plate of the earbud for about a second.
- Apps like Apple Music, Spotify, VLC Media player can be controlled using the earpods, to play or pause a video or song you’d have to gently press on the face-plate once.
- Pressing the multi-function face-plate twice while on standby mode will launch Google Voice Assistant.
- If you wish to mute a phone call, press the face-plate twice while on the phone call.
- Changing the primary device while on a call can be done by holding down the face-plate for a second when on a call. This lets you toggle between handling the call on your phone or earbuds.
- Earbuds are built to suit everyone so if they seem out of place, take out the silicone tips and replace them with one of the other sizes available in the box.
Pros and Cons
As you’d expect, these earbuds sound great for their pricing but would have been better if Xiaomi had included a few more features.
|Comes in a compact design.
|The controls have the basic functions.
|Delivers decent performance.
|Call Quality is average the further away you are from your phone.
|Price is just right for entry-level earbuds.
|Latency issues while streaming and playing online games.
|Battery life is a good 4 hours.
|Both models support Siri and Google Assistant.
Xiaomi Mi True Wireless Earbuds Review: FAQs
Are the Mi Earbuds Waterproof?
The Mi TWS Earbuds are rated IPX4 water-resistant but this applies only to the earbuds and not the charging case. If the charging case happens to get wet then it most likely will not be able to charge your earbuds and would cease working. Make sure to remember that you can wear the earbuds outside in any weather condition but to keep the charging case dry and safe.
What Must I Do if the Left and Right earbuds are not connected to each other?
This is a basic issue some may face, if you’re looking to sync both the earbuds then you will have to place both the earbuds in the charging case and take them out only when the LED notification light flashes bright red and they begin charging. Once the earbuds are taken out of the charging case, they will automatically connect to each other.
Why Won’t The Mi True Wireless Charge?
The only likely reason why the Mi TWS won’t charge is because the charging case is out of battery life. If this is the case then charge the case first and then place the earbuds in. You can also try dusting the charging pins as they may have gathered dirt or would have moved out of place.
Do the Xiaomi true wireless earbuds have noise cancellation?
Yes, the Xiaomi true wireless earbuds do have a noise cancellation feature which drowns out most environmental noise while listening to music or during a call.
Are the Xiaomi true wireless earbuds good for phone calls?
Yes, the Xiaomi buds are good for phone calls delivering clear audio on both ends, with the environment noise cancellations working really well even in some of the more noisy environments.
Well, the ultimate question on your mind by now is, Should you buy the Redmi AirDots or the AirDots S?
The AirDots and the AirDots S are not professional earbuds, though they have decent drivers, recharges pretty fast and use Bluetooth 5.0 technology, the features here are what you’d expect for the price and not more.
To sum it up, Xiaomis Mi True Wireless Earbuds are the best entry level earbuds in the market and are just that, entry level. They could have included a fast charging case plus coiled it with a USB-C port, but let’s see what else Xiaomi releases in the near future.